Preheader Home Page
Insurance Insurance Insurance

It seems like only a few years ago when your child was still in diapers, crawling all over the house. Now you’re ready to send him or her off to college, embarking on a new chapter of their lives. After you wipe away your tears and finish reminiscing, spend some time reviewing your insurance policies with a trusted agent. You’ll want to make sure your coverage is up to date now that your child is out of the house.

Auto Insurance

Most likely you have an auto insurance policy with you, your spouse, and your children listed as drivers. Now that Adam or Betsy is out of the house, you have a few different options to properly cover you and your loved ones.

Some insurance companies offer an option of assigning a separate zip code while your child is away at school with their vehicle. This way, your child can remain on your auto insurance policy in case they come home and drive your car. He or she will still be covered if they get into an accident in your car and your premium will be more accurate since it will be based on where your child is actually driving his or her car.

You can also purchase an individual insurance policy with your child listed as the driver. This will ensure that any accidents or tickets he or she receives will only affect their own policy and will not affect your policy’s premium. You will also be able to separate your limits so that your coverage limits are not depleted in the event of an accident. Be sure to consult your agent about all applicable discounts such as good student discounts to maximize your savings.

If your child is opting to leave the car at home, you can exclude him or her from your policy. Just remember to add your child back to your policy if they come home and intend to drive your vehicles. If you forget to revise your policy and your child gets into an accident, there will be no coverage since he or she is excluded from the policy.

Homeowners & Renters Insurance

Your homeowners insurance policy will provide some coverage for your child’s possessions when they move away but only up to a limited dollar amount. Most policies have a limit between $5,000 and $10,000 for personal property away from premises (away from your home). If your child needs more property coverage, he or she can also purchase a renters insurance policy to cover both his or her liability and personal property.

Personal Umbrella Insurance

If you have a personal umbrella policy in place, it’s always a good idea to advise your carrier of any life changes. If your child is staying on your auto insurance policy, no changes need to be made. However, if your child is being removed or excluded from your policy, just note that your personal umbrella insurance policy will no longer cover your child.

Medical Insurance

Depending on what school your child will be attending, many colleges offer student health options that can potentially save you money and offer coverage more suited for his or her needs. Monica, our health insurance agent can review your current plan against the student plan for free and make a recommendation. She can be contacted directly at 916-769-5948 or at


Back to school season is an exciting time, especially for those who are college-bound. Take one more thing off your mind by consulting with your insurance agent now about changes to your policies. We wish you and your loved ones nothing but the best for this school season.

insurance quotes

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2016

View Mobile Version
We service our clients
with companies that we trust

Our Happy Customers

Social Social Social
326 E Tulare Street | Dinuba, CA 93618 | 559.591.7556
A S&G Mitchell Company, License #0N07168
Powered by Insurance Website Builder